Unlock Your Potential - Become a Trainee Accountant with the Northern Ireland Audit Office!
Starting salary of over £22k, rising annually
- Work towards becoming a Chartered Accountant
- 25 days annual leave plus public and privilege days
- Play a hands-on role in making sure £25 billion of public money is spent properly
- Flexible working and study leave
- Engage with fellow graduates, experienced colleagues, and clients from across government
Our Trainee Accountant (TA) training scheme offers candidates a chance to gain hands-on practical experience of public audit, while also being supported to obtain the Chartered Accountancy qualification with Chartered Accountants Ireland.
What will I be doing?
The role of the Northern Ireland Audit Office is to make sure that taxpayers’ money is being spent properly and to inspire confidence in public services. From day one, you will play a valued role working as part of our team of experienced auditors as you build your knowledge and expertise. Over the course of the TA scheme your duties and responsibilities will include:
- Developing and maintaining a working knowledge of our audited bodies
- Preparing audit plans, undertaking research and data analysis
- Gathering audit evidence, recording results, reporting findings and making recommendations
What are we looking for?
Our TAs come from all sorts of backgrounds – people changing career, Accounting Technicians, as well as graduates and mature students from fields as varied as Psychology, English and Sports Studies.
What matters is that candidates have an inquisitive nature and an ability to analyse complex problems, spot patterns and identify solutions. You also need to be a team player, able to communicate effectively with colleagues and clients.
- A 2:1 degree or above in any discipline or ATI Level 5 Diploma for Accounting Technicians
- Seven GCSE/GCE grades A-C in separate subjects including Mathematics and English Language
- A full driving licence and access to a form of transport
Watch our videos below to see what it's like working at the Northern Ireland Audit Office, and make sure to watch our staff benefits video.
Closed captions are available on our Youtube videos.
- Trainee Accountant Fiona
- Check out our video with Chartered Accountants Ireland, where NIAO Director an Training Partner Colette Kane, and Learning and Development Office Louise Moss, discuss the scheme and the benefits to applicants of training as a Chartered Accountant:
- NIAO Learning and Development Officer Louise discusses the Trainee Accountant programme
- NIAO TA Philip MacDonald discusses his experience on the Trainee Accountant programme as a mature student
- NIAO TA Matt Brown talks to Chartered Accountants Ireland - Chartered Career Chat