ILEX Urban Regeneration Co LtdDate of Issue: 7 January 2013
RESULTS OF THE AUDIT OF ILEX URBAN REGENERATION COMPANY LIMITED 2011-12
Mr Kieran Donnelly, the Comptroller and Auditor General (C&AG) for Northern Ireland and Head of the Northern Ireland Audit Office (NIAO) has reported the results of the annual audit work carried out on Ilex Urban Regeneration Company Limited’s (Ilex) financial statements for 2011-121.
Mr Donnelly stated that, “I am pleased to report that Ilex has worked effectively with its sponsor departments during 2011-12 to ensure that no new problems have occurred in addition to those that I first highlighted in 2010-112. I have, however, qualified my audit opinion on the 2011-12 financial statements because of certain problems that have arisen in the past and which continue to impact in the current year.
In total I have identified £614,479 of irregular expenditure in 2011-12 arising from three issues:
- Last year I reported on procurement issues relating to consultancy services for the Peace Bridge and it has now been identified that this is likely to result in the disallowance of European Union (EU) grant funding amounting to £312,573. This expenditure will now be met by additional funding from the Northern Ireland Executive.
- Additional irregular expenditure of £278,906 has been incurred during 2011-12 for two projects which I first reported on last year and which continue to not have the necessary approvals from sponsor Departments and DFP.
- The starting salary of one director has still not received the necessary departmental approvals for the amount of salary paid in excess of the normal minimum and therefore I have qualified my opinion on the excess amount of £23,000.”
Ilex is an urban regeneration company limited by guarantee which was established in 2003 to promote the regeneration of Derry~Londonderry. My report on the 2010-11 accounts was published in March 2012 and was considered at a Public Accounts Committee (PAC) session in April 2012. PAC reported on Ilex in July 20123.
- The report relevant to this Press Release is attached and is published with the 2011-12 Ilex Annual Report and Accounts which has been laid at the NI Assembly and the Companies Registry in Belfast and will also be available shortly from Ilex’s website at http://www.ilex-urc.com/Publications---Reports.aspx
- The 2010-11 Ilex Annual Report and Accounts can be obtained from Ilex’s website at http://www.ilex-urc.com/Publications---Reports.aspx
- Report NIA 58/11-15 Public Accounts Committee – The Transfer of Former Military Sites to the Northern Ireland Executive and Ilex Accounts, dated 4th July 2012, is available from the NI Assembly Website http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/Documents/Reports/Public-Accounts/Military_sites.pdf
- The Comptroller and Auditor General is Head of the Northern Ireland Audit Office (the Audit Office). He and the NIAO are totally independent of Government. He certifies the accounts of Government Departments and a range of other public sector bodies. He has statutory authority to report to the Assembly on the economy, efficiency and effectiveness with which departments and public bodies use their resources. His reports are published as Assembly papers.
- Background briefing can be obtained from the Northern Ireland Audit Office by contacting Tomas Wilkinson (028 90251073).